The Bible Centred Church - Acts 6:1-7
This is a sermon by Abraham Overvoorde from the Riverside Church service on 14th November 2021.
Click here to read the bible passage (opens in new window).
The Bible-Centred Church: Acts 6:1-7
Distractions: What causes us to lose focus?
A church that gives attention to the word
“…we will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.” V3b-4
Gospel Focus = Church Growth
A church that gives attention to Structure
Conflicts cause distraction and can take away from the proclaiming of God’s word. The disciples knew this and put structures in place to ensure they could continue with the commission that they were given to preach the word.
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8
- Vine work: the prayerful preaching and teaching of the word of God to see people converted and grow to maturity as disciples of Christ. Vine work is the Great Commission.
- Trellis work: creating and maintaining the physical and organisational structures and programs that support vine work and its growth.
A church that grabs the attention of the world
So the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith. v7
What should our church be like in response?
- Praying Church–
- Speaking Church–
- Growing Church–
What do we do with our greatest treasure?
Home Group Questions on Acts 6:1-7
1. Why did the disciples feel in verse 2, it was so important to ensure that God’s word was not neglected? How can we avoid neglecting God’s word in our own spiritual walk?
2. Why was it so important in verse 3 & 5, that the seven who were chosen to distribute the food were full of the Spirit, wisdom and faith? Do we have the desire to have these leadership qualities in our lives?
3. In verse 7 we see the results of the word of God being proclaimed and even a large number of priests becoming obedient to the faith. What truths are they beginning to see after years of relentless sacrifices in the temple? God’s word is irresistible to all who are called, who in your life do you want to see become obedient to the faith? Spend some time praying for these people.
There is no charge for our sermon recordings, but if you'd like to help with our costs, please make a donation.
Copyright information: The sermon recordings are copyright and are available for personal use only. Sermon media provided by Newland Media. If you wish to use them in other ways, please contact us for permission.