Invincible Saints - 1 Peter 1:3-9
This is a sermon by Peter Birnie from the Riverside Church service on 25th April 2021.
Click here to read the bible passage (opens in new window).
1 Peter 1 v 3-9 “Invincible Saints” Handout
Intro: A shield for every attack
1) Can our inheritance be destroyed? (v3+4)
Summary of what our whole salvation is actually about; “Praise be to the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ!”
In order for God to be given what he deserves we are given something that we don’t deserve; new birth into a living hope.
A new glorious certain inheritance;
- Silly to scramble for scrap.
- Keep going, nearly there!
God has given us this treasure we don’t deserve so that he will be given the glory he does deserve.
2) Can the heirs be destroyed? (v5)
No chance because of the double guarantee;
“This inheritance is kept in heaven for you who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.”
Through faith we are shielded;
- Faith is a gift
- Faith in who Jesus is and what he has done
- Not the size of our faith but the person it is in
Praise God for the double lock; our inheritance is kept and we are shielded
3) Will persecution choke our faith? (v6&7)
“may result in praise, glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed.”
God’s victory seen most clearly as his people suffer;
- Grief in trials is right
- Christian suffering is temporary
- Christian suffering achieves eternal benefits
Conclusion: The now and the not yet blurred (v8&9)
Continued, determined, faithful, Spirit-filled proclamation of Jesus Christ leads to;
- Love for Jesus
- Trust in Jesus
- Joy in Jesus
1 Peter 1 v 3-9 “Invincible Saints” Home Group Questions
1) What have you found that grows you in your love for Jesus, your trust in Jesus, your joy in Jesus?
2) Read verses 3+4. In what ways do you see our world perishing, spoiling and fading? How is our inheritance different? Why is this so certain?
3) What makes you feel most vulnerable and anxious in this life? Read verse 5. How should God’s ‘guarding’ of us help us?
4) In verses 6&7 what 3 simple truths about trials and persecution are declared? How would learning and believing these verses change us in trials?
5) Read verses 8&9. Why is the proclamation of the gospel so key to us enjoying our inheritance now as we wait for heaven? What implications do these verses have for our commitment to God’s people?
There is no charge for our sermon recordings, but if you'd like to help with our costs, please make a donation.
Copyright information: The sermon recordings are copyright and are available for personal use only. Sermon media provided by Newland Media. If you wish to use them in other ways, please contact us for permission.