Gospel practicalities - Colossians 3:18 - 4:1
This is a sermon by Peter Birnie from the Riverside Church service on 24th July 2022.
Click here to read the bible passage.
Colossians 3 v 17 – 4 v 1 “Gospel Practicalities”
2 bookends that allow us to give up our rights:
- Colossians 3 v 1-4 What we already have
- Colossians 3 v 24-25 The day that all is put right
1) In your closest relationships work for Jesus (v18-21)
Key question: “What should I do in response to this teaching so that my family conforms more closely to God’s design?”
What does a Christian wife submitting look like?
- Satisfied with a helping role
- Content with being led
Submission is a key way of following Jesus: “Not my will but yours be done”
What does a Christian husband loving look like?
- Acceptance of responsibility
- Using strength for what honours God
Loving is a key way of following Jesus: “This is how we know what love is; Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.”
What do Christian children obeying their parents look like?
- Immediate trusting obedience
- Full trusting obedience
Obeying is a key way of following Jesus: “through the obedience of the one man many will be made righteous.”
What do parents encouraging their children look like?
- Time walking alongside children
- Giving them God’s promises to stand on
Encouraging is a key way of following Jesus: “Come to me you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.”
2) In your hardest relationships work for Jesus (v22-4v1)
The scope of God’s call on our lives is complete.
Turn your eyes to the cross of Jesus Christ.
There is no charge for our sermon recordings, but if you'd like to help with our costs, please make a donation.
Copyright information: The sermon recordings are copyright and are available for personal use only. Sermon media provided by Christ Church Network. If you wish to use them in other ways, please contact us for permission.