Live purely - Daniel 1
This is a sermon by Peter Birnie from the Riverside Church service on 18th October 2020.
Click here to read the bible passage.
Daniel 1 “Live Purely” Handout
Intro: Strangers in a cover lesson.
- Plan to be pure (v1-8)
- Age and Abilities
A perfect storm, a “live whatever way you want situation.”
Plan for purity; V8 “But Daniel resolved not to defile himself…”
2. Be prepared for purity’s consequences (v8-16)
Going God’s way is better no matter what the consequences;
- The feast of Materialism or generosity and sacrifice?
- The feast of Sexual Liberation or faithfulness and innocence?
- The feast of Self-Rule or humility and servanthood?
The all-powerful and completely sovereign God cares deeply what happens to the people who bear his name.
3. Trust God to be at work for His name’s sake (v1-21)
Verse 2: ‘The Lord delivered Jehoiakim into Nebuchadnezzar’s hand’
Our purity is part of his Salvation plan
Verse 9: “Now God caused the official to show favour and compassion to Daniel.”
Our purity lifts God’s name high
Verse 17: “To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding.”
Our purity humbles the proud
Jesus Christ the greater Daniel.
Daniel 1 “Live Purely” Home Group Questions
1) What reaction to the following summary of the book of Daniel is provoked in you? What reaction might it provoke in the lives of the people all around us?
“God is all-powerful and completely sovereign and cares deeply about the people who bear his name.”
2) Do you agree that our culture is a “live whatever way you want” culture? How confident are you in saying “I’m not one of them - I belong to God, I trust in God, I will only worship God?
3) Specifically then, how can we determine to be pure when we are offered;
- the feast of materialism?
- the feast of sexual liberation?
- the feast of self-rule?
4) Why is our purity important? How can God use a people devoted to him for i) the salvation of others? Ii) the lifting up of his name? iii) the humbling of proud people?
5) Why is it vital to finish at the cross and Jesus Christ, the greater Daniel? How is his purity the answer to our defilement?
There is no charge for our sermon recordings, but if you'd like to help with our costs, please make a donation.
Copyright information: The sermon recordings are copyright and are available for personal use only. Sermon media provided by Newland Media. If you wish to use them in other ways, please contact us for permission.